The open web provides a plethora of resources for finding information about the place you've chosen to research. Below are a few advanced Google searching tips:
- Try using Google Advanced Search
- Include search terms like report OR analysis OR summary OR overview OR data
- Google ignores the word AND as a search operator. But, typing OR in all caps will find similar or related terms (e.g. migrants OR immigrants OR "urban migration").
- Search for a particular document type (e.g. southall indian population filetype:xls)
- Search at particular site (e.g. site:.rochester.edu OR site:census.gov OR pewresearch.org).
- Search a particular domain (e.g. site:.gov OR site:.org OR site:.uk See a full list of country code domains).
- Exclude words by using the "-" sign in front of the word you wish to exclude (e.g. southall immigrants OR migrants -ashley).