Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Grey Literature?
Definition: materials and research produced by organizations outside of the traditional commercial or academic publishing and distribution channels
- [enter keywords] site:[domain or domain url]
- URLs: .org, .ngo, .ong, .gov, .int
- No spaces between the word site and the domain!!!
Census & Related Data Sources
American Factfinder - https://factfinder.census.gov
City-Data - www.city-data.com
Historical Poverty and Income Tables - https://census.gov/topics/income-poverty/data/tables.html
1. Form a Search Strategy Using Boolean Operators
- Quotations [ '"x" ] - use around a specific phrase you wish to search on, narrows your search
- OR - use for synonyms of major concepts, broadens your search
- “domestic violence” OR “dating violence”
- AND - connects major concepts, narrows your search
- “domestic violence” OR “dating violence” AND outreach
2. Start in Articles, Books, and More: library.rochester.edu
3. Explore subject guides and relevant databases for your topic